Saturday, May 7, 2011

Rain Rain Stay Away!



Day after day of awaking to the sound of rain pattering against my bedroom windows. Water falls from the sky without avail. After the eighth consecutive day I have lost count.

My polka dotted rubber rain boots are by far the best wardrobe purchase I have made since moving to the city. Armed with an umbrella, a rain jacket and rain boots Derby and I take our morning walk. My rain boots are impervious to the puddles, as we make our way through the cold windy rain. Derby's retriever coat repels the water like the feathers of a duck and it gathers in droplets decorating him until he decides to shake it all off. The smell of wet dog is all too familiar lately.

Under my breath I curse the weather- the rainy season is upon us. The old adage is true, and in this case "You can take the girl out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the girl" I think to myself how spoiled I am having grown up in South Florida where the sun shines about 364 days a year.

Weeks on end of constant rain with a dark, cloudy sky break for a day or so here and there and then weeks of rain again. It began to feel imprisoning and I wondered how much more I could take when at last the rain ceased to fall! The clouds parted and the sun came out. It felt like an eternity since the last time I saw that glorious orange ball of fire. People came out of the woodwork and filled the parks and city streets, basking in the sun, embracing the weather and truly appreciating it after having spent so much time in the rain.

The mid day golden sunlight is illuminating. The plants, trees, and grass are a luscious shade of green. Wild flowers, California Poppies, and fields of clovers have pushed their way through the soil. The wind blows gently and a cascade of leaves flows across a diagonal. It looks like someone shook a snow globe as the breeze carries the leaves. It is a beautiful spring day warm and crisp, sunny and bright. The birds sing a cheerful song welcoming the highly anticipated spring weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment