Monday, April 5, 2010

Puzzle Pieces of My Life

As time goes on I am settling in and establishing my life in San Francisco. Slowly I am building my niche. I am putting together the pieces to create a balance that brings me happiness.

Recently I reintroduced the fitness “piece of the puzzle” to my life. I completed my first 10k race last weekend. Early in the morning when everything was quiet and serene I got on my bike and peddled down the Great Highway (the road that runs parallel to the ocean). My fascination and love for the ocean is satisfied as I gazed onto the rolling waves. The epic and roaring Pacific Ocean is a constant visual stimulus.

I arrived at the starting point of the race and locked up my bike. I checked in, pinned on my race number and found a place to stretch before the race began. The course took the participants on a trail over looking the ocean, through heaps of wildflowers and up a winding path with stair cases, and signs indicating the coyotes. As the dirt path curved and the tree line became sparse, there in the distance stood the Golden Gate Bridge in all her glory, an assuring sign that I am not dreaming- I am in fact living in San Francisco.

I ran faster towards the bridge, my personal pot of gold at the end of my rainbow. The race was challenging as I am not accustomed to hills and inclines. It was a beautiful day, bright and sunny and the music piping through my headphones kept my pace steady. The feelings of accomplishment and satisfaction as people clap and cheer and a finish line is crossed were a wonderful high.

No comments:

Post a Comment