Sunday, February 21, 2010

"Californiatism"

Its a typical foggy day in San Francisco. The air is filled with moisture and as we walk, Derby and I become decorated with beads of dew. We are both adjusted to the sounds of the neighborhood. As the muni glides by neither of us react, we are unfazed and I no longer hear it in my sleep.

Last weekend Derby and I rode the muni (its dog friendly!!) down to the pier to meet with a friend and peruse the weekly farmers market. It was a gorgeous day- bright, sunny, and warm (64 degrees). The vendors at the market were selling fresh produce, local honey, eggs, dried fruits, jams, brightly colored flowers, art, jewelry and so on. We walked around and enjoyed the sunshine at the pier.

Afterward we took the bikes out of the garage and rode 2 miles from my house down to golden gate park. We peddled all around the park. Golden Gate park is similar to New York City's central park, (of course I think golden gate park is nicer). It has tennis courts, soccer fields, biking and hiking trails, lakes and ponds, a small sanctuary for bison, frisbee courses, a golf course, a museum, rose gardens, open fields for picnic areas, everything to enjoy the great outdoors. The park has so many beautiful trees, its lush greenery is a treat for the eyes.

The following day my roommate and I took all three of the dogs down to the beach to let them run and play. The beach here is dog friendly! The dogs are supposed to be kept on leash, but no one abides by that rule. The dogs ran free and were so happy. Derby played with other dogs that were on the beach, he ran, dug in the sand, and swam. I love living so close to the beach, and so does Derby.

California has so much to offer. I am very excited about exploring my new backyard. I am eager to take many trips. The list is long and includes: napa valley and wine country, lake Tahoe, Yosemite national park, Death Valley, Joshua tree national park, Kings Canyon, camping at Big Sur, activist rallies, music festivals, and on and on. Outdoor opportunities are abundant and I am loving it! Yesterday I crossed one off the list. I loaded Derby into the car and went to pick up my friend. We drove 30 minutes outside the city to nearby Muir woods to hike and see the beautiful redwood trees.

We crossed the impressive and iconic golden gate bridge and the city behind us became smaller in the rear view mirror. When we arrived at Muir woods we were so excited. We chose the long trail up to the top for the ocean view. It was spectacular and we marveled at the trees, the trail, the animals, the waterfalls and streams along the way. The towering redwood trees are wise and mystical. I loved them.

Its a wonderful feeling to be so grateful to live here. Its similar to patriotism, but a feeling of patriotism to the state not necessarily the
country. I dont know that there is a word to describe a connection to a state in specific. I will coin the term
"Californiatism" and use it to describe this feeling I have. This deep
love, connection, and pride for the state of California. I feel like I belong here. My ideals are embraced and reinforced. The liberalism (specifically in
San Francisco) is palpable and I eat it up. I have had so many experiences and encounters here that have made me smile, laugh out loud, and cry tears of joy about living in this great city.

I sit on the muni and the announcement about fare increases is in English, Spanish, and Chinese. The labels on my recycling, compost, and garbage bins are in these three languages. The fact that I have a recycling and compost bin in addition to the garbage bin- is amazing! People from all walks of life freely express themselves. The array of cultures and people that live here is wonderful. Distinct neighborhoods and characters, and yet everyone blends together. I watch couples interact openly in public, gay couples together on the muni display affection and are regarded as any other couple- its a beautiful thing and has moved me to tears on more than one occasion.

Needless to say I am very happy to be here. It is by far the best decision I have ever made, and one I should have made a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment