Saturday, February 6, 2010

the Journey West

This past week I was en route from Wellington Florida to San Francisco California. My car was packed full with clothes, a few picture frames, Derby's belongings, my bikes, and of course my beloved Derby-dog. I picked up my friend and travel partner, Reese. And the road trip began! We drove through Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Texas, Texas, Texas, and more Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and finally California.

It was an adventure that I will always remember. It was a wonderful experience to drive across the country east coast to west with my fabulous friend and fabulous dog. We watched the landscape slowly change, like a time elapse photo scene. Each day we drove about 600 miles and stopped to take pictures, walk Derby, enjoy the view and of course to spend the night at hotels along the way.

The road trip was a complete success. We were very fortunate that nothing went a rye. The bikes stayed in tact, nothing broke, the weather was good, the car was great, we were safe and all went smoothly. Reese was a map genius and her atlas book was a wonderful resource.

My favorite part of the trip by far was driving up the Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco. That is a life altering experience to be had! The most beautiful scenery for miles and miles, and with each moment it somehow became more beautiful. No words or pictures can do justice to this place. It is something I highly recommend to do in your lifetime. The roaring Pacific waters on the left and lush green mountains on the right. The highway snakes around and hugs the mountains tightly. With each bend and each mile the scenery slowly changes from valleys with small farms and cows adorning the green grasses, to vineyards of sweet California grapes, fields of artichokes and lush vegetation, wildflowers, elephant seals and wildlife, rugged coastline, giant redwood trees, forest, and wide open spaces that give the urge to run and frolic like a child.

When we finally arrived in San Francisco after long days of driving we pulled up to the house where I had planned to rent a room. Because of the way my trip went when I visited California, I was not able to secure a place in December. I first visited San Francisco and then San Diego. I found a place I really liked in San Fran, and I told the landlord of that house, George, that I had yet so explore San Diego and did not want to a make decision until I had seen both cities. I contacted George when I decided that San Diego was not for me and unfortunately the place had been rented. I frantically searched the internet to find a place to live, but it was challenging to do from Florida. After weeks of searching I found a place that I thought would suit my needs and George offered to check it out for me since he felt badly that it didnt work out for me to rent from him. When I got the green light from George, I made a verbal agreement with the landlord to rent the room and I packed my things for the move.

Upon arrival at the house- Reese and I unloaded the bikes and walked into the room that I was supposed to live in. It was a dirty cold converted garage cluttered with junk. The room was dark and moldy, with wood paneling floor to ceiling, and a tiny window. It was not livable. The rest of the house was also dirty and cluttered with junk. It looked like something straight out of the A & E series "Hoarders." There were dolls, mermaid ornaments, lord of the rings collectibles, figurines, stacks of papers, piles of random things on the floor and on top of the kitchen cabinets, and nick nacks everywhere. It was creepy, dark, and gross. It was a nightmare to say the least. Reese and I looked at each other with an unspoken understanding of "WHAT THE HELL??!!!!"

We met the landlord, who gave me the keys and we left the house to plan our exit strategy. We immediately started making phone calls to figure out plan "B". Luckily we found a place to stay for the night with a family friend's daughter and then the search began. We frantically made calls, looked through advertisements, and everyone that I knew out here (all friends of friends that I had yet to meet) was posting on facebook and making calls on my behalf. I had appointments set up for the next day and was emotionally distraught. I felt like a foolish gypsy idiot.

The first house I looked at was a group of four girls that attend San Francisco State University and one of the roommates, Maggie, was subleasing her room. The house is 4 blocks from the beach, has a fenced in yard, and two small dogs that belong to one of the roommates. The girls were nice and the dogs all got along. It worked out brilliantly and I took the room.

Reese and I went back to the original house to retrieve the bikes we left there from the night before and the mattress I had delivered. We went in and snuck around like we were stealing artwork from a museum. We made a clean brake with all my things loaded onto the car and drove to the new house to drop off my things. Luckily I had not signed a lease agreement or given the landlord a deposit yet so I was home free, pun intended. I moved in the next day and everything fell into place.

I spent today unpacking my things, hanging out with my roommates a bit, walking the dogs at the beach, grocery shopping and settling in. I am eager to make new friends, and begin my new life and new adventures here in San Francisco. I am sure I will face more trying times, but I am confident that if I prevailed the crazy situation that I stumbled upon when I arrived- than I will be ok!

I am happy to be here pursuing my dream of life in California!!! And the journey begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment